- Don’t ask for unnecessary information
- Don’t be a nit-picker. Your system should be smart enough to figure out if I misspelled “unsubscribe” as “unsiscribe”.
- Don’t erect roadblocks (i.e. require someone to log in before they can unsubscribe).
- Don’t need a double confirmation when unsubscribing.
- Let the recipient choose which enewsletter to unsubscribe too. Also give the recipient a choice on how frequent they would like to be contacted.
- Handle the removal in real time.
- If an error occurs during the unsubscribe process… fail gracefully.
- Send a confirmation notice with a link so that the recipient can resubscribe in the future.
eINFO – a collection of articles and studies about email marketing.