Lesley Cortright, Premiere Marketing Automation, release a new article, 10 Reasons your Agency (Marketing, Branding, Interactive or otherwise) Should Not Program Your HTML Email Templates. Here are the first five tips.
1. Agencies are generally trained to program websites, not HTML emails. You should use inline CSS as opposed to placing the CSS in the header of the code.
2. XHTML is not W3C compliant. XHTML can cause problems with un-closed tags and non-standard tag types and formatting.
3. Email is more science than art. They are multiple issues (rendering issues, spam filters, deliverability) to overcome to ensure the customer has a positive experience with your email.
4. Make effective use of campaign technology. Many times agencies are more concerned with their bottom line than they are making the content the most relevant and efficient to the end user and client.
5. Email delivery rules change constantly. If you are not in the space, there is no way to know what is happening with various ISPs.
eINFO – a collection of articles and studies about email marketing.