- Send a welcome message right away to your new subscribers.
- After mailing out your first or second newsletter, consider sending a quick survey to see if the newsletter met the recipient’s needs and expectations.
- Capture demographic information and interests during the sign up process and then develop and send personalized messages based on that information.
- Survey all list members, asking them to rate your content, design, offers, etc.
- Determine which subject lines, articles and offers drive the highest open and click-trough-rates and then align your future message content accordingly.
- Segment out readers who have not opened or clicked in several months to a year and send them a special reactivation offer, along with an invitation to unsubscribe.
- Add dynamic content that reflects past buying behavior or content interests.
- Streamline your unsubscribe process.
- Invite anyone who has been on the list for a year or more to opt-in again, and include an unsubscribe link for those who want out but just haven’t gotten around to it.
Additonal Resource Article: 12 Tip for Targeting Inactive Subscribers
eINFO – a collection of articles and studies about email marketing.